The study of the Rev. A.N. Ferguson was first located at his home. He used this building as his personal study while he served Presbyterian churches in the area. He was pastor of the (Old) Laurel Hill Presbyterian Church from 1871 to 1906 (a church that is considered one of the first to encourage freed slaves to worship as equals in the congregation). The study was initially donated to the church, which kept it on the church grounds until 1990. At that time, the church donated the structure and moved it to the grounds of the John Blue House.
The study is furnished with a desk and chairs from the period, and the display case contains items which belonged to Rev. Ferguson, including reading glasses, financial records, and correspondence. Members of his family, some of whom still live on Scotland County, donated these items.